Sunday, April 14, 2024

What Mountains Say

Last week I was in Co. Armagh for the AE / George Russell Festival. George Russell, known by his pen name of “Æ,” was a friend of the poet and mystic Ella Young. 

I’ve written about Æ before when I wrote about the history of our neighborhood, “History with a Twist.” 

Æ is difficult to describe. He was a painter and poet and publisher. He was a community organizer who established a network of agricultural cooperatives in the early days of an independent Ireland. He promoted other writers; his most successful protégée was Pamela Travers, the author of Mary Poppins. 

Musician Finbar Magee has written a song that tries to describe him, and he released it at the festival. We were the first to hear it. 


During the festival, a monthly event called Flash Fiction Armagh was held in honor of Æ, with the theme of Sacred Mountain. I was thrilled that the organizers chose my story “What Mountains Say.”



I also gave a talk at the festival, which I will post when the video is available. 





No comments:

Post a Comment