Sunday, October 16, 2022

Mushroom Interlude

 


A friend and I went on our first mushroom walk last week. The week before the woods were dry and fungiless . 

If I can see one amanita muscaria in a season, I am satisfied. 



These little ones grow in spirals around stumps. 

Three in one day. I love this place. 

Another kind of amanita. 

These are a kind of Chanterelle. I ate them, but have come to accept that I would rather talk to mushrooms than taste them. 

These are the same type of chanterelle gris (gray), growing in a little colony inside a stump. 

The bolete is in the middle distance, shouting at us to admire it. 

Do you believe in fairies? 


As we walked out of the forest we saw three or four huge trees lining the road. I could tell they weren’t natives, but planted by the Stewarts 100 years ago to line their horse riding path. Later I identified them as Monterey Cypress. No wonder they looked familiar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment