Friday, August 18, 2017

An Ounce of Precaution is Worth a Pound of Cure

I haven't been updating in a few weeks because I've been writing on another project, because we had some visitors, and because I walked away from my computer at An Post in Kenmare. 

Yes, I can't believe I did that. I was doing extreme paperwork required by our visa application and patting myself on the back for how great I am at it, and then I walked away from my computer after looking up some obscure identification number in it. 

In most Irish post offices, the person who found the computer on that "address your postcard" table would have turned it in there, or to the Gardai, but in Kenmare, there is a high probability it wasn't found by an Irish person. Since it hasn't appeared on the net yet, I assume it has been wiped and resold for nowhere near its massive retail value of $200. 

While I wasn't able to write properly for a week, I'm not devastated because I back up my computer, I don't store passwords on it, and I can afford a replacement. My lovely wife found a refurbished two-year old Air in the UK and it was sent to me within days.

If you need another reason to back up your laptop or tablet, please remember this story daily until you do. I use 1Password to store passwords, I backup important files to gdrive, and everything else to iCloud. I also backed up everything to a physical drive before I left Santa Cruz. 

And now back to more stories of holy wells, stone circles, and how I'm the luckiest person I've ever met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment